Prep. Time: 5 min
Cooking Time: 90 min
- 2 tbsp groundnut (peanut) oil
- 450 g chuck steak
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp rice wine or dry sherry
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 cloves star anise
- Heat the oil and fry the beef until browned on all sides.
- Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for about 45 minutes then turn the meat over, adding a little more water and soy sauce if the meat is drying.
- Simmer for a further 45 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Discard the star anise before serving.