Prep. Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
- 5 tbsp groundnut (peanut) oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 slices ginger root, chopped
- 1 tbsp plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 450 g chicken, cubed
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cloves star anise
- 225 g potatoes, diced
- Heat half the oil and fry the onions until lightly browned then remove them from the pan.
- Heat the remaining oil and fry the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the flour and curry powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Return the onions to the pan, add the chicken and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar, soy sauce, stock and anise, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, return to the boil, cover and simmer for a further 20 minutes until tender.